I must be the only woman on the Western hemisphere who is not on a diet after the holidays. It can’t be healthy to be on a diet in the dead of the winter. Don’t you also need a bit of consolation?
This recipe is disarmingly easy and magically produces a large amount of a delightful dessert with a small amount of fairly ordinary ingredients.
for the custard:
- 250 ml ( 1 cup) milk
- 1 whole egg
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 scant tablespoon maizena (corn starch)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon jam or the zest of 1/2 organic lemon
- 250 ml ( 1 cup) whipping cream
- 3 tablespoon organic brown sugar or 6 tablespoon caramel
- light cookies or crumbled puff pastry
- optional: fresh or poached fruit
Please note that French Chantilly cream is sweetened whipped cream. In Italy however, this concoction of egg custard and whipped cream is called Chantilly and sometimes crema diplomatica.
Make the custard using my microwave method and let it cool completely. Please note that this recipe is slightly different from my classic custard as it has more sugar and a whole egg. Whip the cream until firm and add to the custard. Refrigerate until needed.
Just before serving distribute the cream into pretty serving bowls, crumble the puff pastry over it and sprinkle with brown sugar or drizzle with caramel.
In season I like to serve the Chantilly also with sliced fresh fruit like strawberries or peaches or with poached pears.