French Chantilly cream is sweetened whipped cream. In Italy however, Chantilly is a concoction of egg custard and whipped cream. It is also called crema diplomatica.
This recipe is disarmingly easy and magically produces a delightful dessert with a small amount of fairly ordinary ingredients.
for the custard:
- 250 ml ( 1 cup) milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon maizena (corn starch)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon jam or the zest of 1/2 organic lemon
- 250 ml ( 1 cup) whipping cream or 125 g (4 and 1/2 oz) ricotta
- 3 tablespoon organic brown sugar or 6 tablespoon caramel
- light cookies or crumbled puff pastry
- optional: fresh or poached fruit
Make the custard using my microwave method and let it cool completely. Whip the cream until firm and add to the custard. As an alternative to whipping cream, stir the ricotta into the custard until smooth and completely incorporated. Refrigerate until needed.
Just before serving distribute the cream into pretty serving bowls, crumble the puff pastry over it and sprinkle with brown sugar or drizzle with caramel.
Serves 6 (4 if using ricotta)