PORCINI AND SWEET PEPPER SAUCE. This is a variation of the basic tomato sauce using the last good summer peppers and the first porcini available in the fall. Vegetables are added to the onion and slowly stewed for a long time like a creamy compote.
- One 400 gr. (12 ounces) can diced tomato
- 15 gr. (1/2 ounce) dried porcini soaked in 2/3 cup lukewarm water
- 1 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 red or yellow sweet pepper cut into 1 cm. (1/2 inch) wide strips
- 350 gr. short pasta like penne, rigatoni or lumache ( or gluten-free alternatives)
Use a shallow, thick bottomed pan with a lid. Sauté onion and sweet peppers in 2 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat until peppers and onion start to caramelize and become dark. Add the soaked porcini with their water, lower the heat, cover and cook until all vegetables are soft and falling apart, about 30-45 min. Add the tomato and cook for additional 10 min. until slightly thickened.
Use with short pasta with a sprinkle of chopped fresh parsley or thyme, if desired.