PORCINI AND SWEET PEPPER SAUCE. This is a variation of the basic tomato sauce using the last good summer peppers and the first porcini available in the fall. Vegetables are added to the onion and slowly stewed for a long time like a creamy compote.
- One 400 gr. (12 ounces) can diced tomato
- 15 gr. (1/2 ounce) dried porcini soaked in 2/3 cup lukewarm water
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 red or yellow sweet peppers cut into 1 cm. (1/2 inch) wide, 4 cm. (2 inch) long strips
- 3 tabsp heavy whipping cream
- 400 gr. short pasta like penne, rigatoni or lumache ( or gluten-free alternatives)
Use a shallow, thick bottomed pan with a lid over low heat. Soften onion and sweet peppers in 2 tablespoon EVO oil until soft and falling apart, about 30-45 min. When the mixture starts to dry out, add the soaked porcini with their water. Simmer until the soaking water is completely reduced. Add the tomato and cook for additional 10 min. until slightly thickened. Add cream, but do not cook it. Use with short pasta with a sprinkle of chopped fresh parsley or basil, if desired. This sauce can be prepared ahead and frozen. Serves 4.